Monday, April 6, 2009

Quotes

So I realized the problem with my blog. I don't have any direction with it.
So, I've decided on a direction.
I love quotes.
I love thinking about quotes.
I love sharing my opinion about quotes.
So I'm going to offer favorite quotes of mine, think about them, comment on them, and then hope to receive your thoughts on the quote.


So, I'll begin with one of my all-time favorite quotes:

"Personality has the power to open doors, but Character keeps them open."
author unknown.

I think what I like about this thought is that it's about long term vision.

It's not just a thought regarding a specific moment, time, or situation. It can be applied to almost any situation involving people.

We are often drawn to those individuals who are funny, witty, beautiful, quick, athletic, sharp, thought-provoking, controversial, edgy, or a slew of other personality traits.
It's different for different people.

Personally, I like the people who listen to what is being said, and then offer a witty response that they really don't expect to be caught, but if you do catch the layers of humor they put in there...it's like that moment when you're putting gas in your car at the station...and you want to hit it right on the dollar (Which I'm wondering why we do that? All of our other purchases have odd penny amounts on them, why do we feel that gas is something that we want to be on the dollar. Is it because it is one of the things that we can control, and anything in this world that we can control we cling to?!) Sometimes you have to go: Click, $20.94; Click, $20:96; Click, $20.99 and then hope that your next click is just enough but not too much.
But it's like those moments when you hit it right on the Dollar the first time!!! It's really not a huge deal in the larger scheme of things, and to be honest, no one else really cares...but just to know that it happened to you...

We are drawn to personality.

However, personality can be like pancakes.
I love the thought of pancakes...it's a mix of nostalgia/syrup/breakfast that fosters a feeling of comfort. So I love thinking about eating pancakes.
But eating them is a different story.
That first bite is amazing and everything you hoped it would be.
The second bite is good too, but you definitely feel the need to wash it down with orange juice.
The third bite, you're starting to wonder why you got a stack of 4 and didn't stick with 3.
Fourth, you just wish someone would interrupt you so that you wouldn't have to finish this stomach bloating mass of sugar covered flour.

That's my feeling with personality. It can get tiring quickly.

But Character.

Character is what people are really looking for.
Is this person not only unique in their perspective on life, but are they also consistent.
Are they dedicated to their values?
Does their life match up with their mouths?

I want character. I don't want to be the flash in the pan.
I want to look for character and not just what is popular.

But if I don't have character...could I just take off the hinges?

"Personality has the power to open doors, but Character keeps them open."

1 comment:

Amy Kleinheksel said...

Well thought out and said...I want to keep my doors open at all times!!